9.12.2008

A.L.T.

Some of my favorites parts from the So What Do You Do, Andre Leon Talley, Editor-at-Large, Vogue? interview by Diane Clehane:

Any time you've ever left a show because you got a bad seat?
No. That wouldn't be polite. I've sat down and waited for a show that was two hours late [Marc Jacobs]. I'd think if it was three hours late, I'd get up and walk out.

How would you say you've gotten to where you are?
My faith in humankind. Getting up and appreciating every day as much as one can. You have to get up and soldier on. Some days are good, some days are not so good. Some days are really exciting. Some days are just tedious. You just have to get up out of bed. I had an uncle who was a barber, and he always used to say, 'Just keep getting up every day.' You just have to get up, get going, get cracking!

What's your motto?
Be kind. Smile. I read this somewhere -- if you smile, it means you are in control of your destiny. I think smiling helps people break a kind of tension. I will sit in the car on the way to a meeting and just smile. I really mean that. It helps you get through life. If you have nothing to say, smile. Look up at the sky and smile. Just be grateful. It sounds simplistic, but it's my mantra.

You can read the entire interview here.

No comments: